
After listening to the Ed Tech Live podcast, I realized that my perspective on blogging is (to some degree) limited. Actually, I only began blogging about two semesters ago in my language and literacy course. In spite of the fact that I am still new at using this type of communication tool, I am grateful that Dr. Matilda Rivera exposes her students to various media literacy instruction.
At first I was scared and did not like blogging, perhaps because I did not feel comfortable about other people reading what I had to say on certain issues. I would rush to publish my comments. Afterwards, I would comment on what my classmates had to say, and then hurried to sign out of the computer. Sometimes I would worry that I might not have enough information on a particular subject in order to effectively give my perspective. However, after calming down and organizing my thoughts, I became more confident and comfortable about publishing my reflections. It is true that constant positive reinforcement and encouragement from the teacher really makes a difference. Dr. Matilda Rivera is an expert in this area. She is very patient and she will (in a manner of speaking) bend over backwards just to assist her students.
Anyhow, as my proficiency level in blogging increased, I began to see this tool as a type of specialized social journaling tool where I can interpret what I know with what I just learned. I have never really regarded blogging as a kind of learning instrument that could be categorized according to various issues of interest that can be reviewed by others beyond the realm of a classroom. However, after listening to Mr. Will Richardson’s extensive viewpoint, I now realize that blogging has a more far-reaching purpose with multiple functions.
Burns, Roe, & Smith (2002), in their book titled Teaching Reading in Today’s Elementary Schools, suggest that, “Teachers can plan many meaningful learning experiences for students. Because of the interactive characteristics of the computer – it can provide immediate responses to input from student users – teachers find that it is a good tool for individualizing instruction. Because of its ability to repeat instructions patiently without showing irritation or judging students negatively, it is also useful for remedial instruction. Word-processing programs allow teachers and students alike to easily revise and edit their written products, which can be printed in neat form to be read by class members.”
Out of all the intellectual reasons that Richardson imparted, I was rather captivated when he mentioned that his blogging became more meaningful when he realized that other individuals who shared the same interest wanted to pool resources. I guess this is where persistence translates to the light at the end of the tunnel. I agree wholeheartedly that good things definitely comes to those who are tolerant, and this is where Richardson commented more or less within the lines that, “…Blogging is an effective learning environment where technological transformation transpires.”
3 comments:
I agree with you...it is very frustrating dealing with the current required curriculum in the school system of mine. Using the limited technology support in the classroom is not a great way to teach it. Our students are still struggling with the basic sentence structure and what nouns, verbs, pronouns, etc. are. When I first started to take my post-bachelor's classes, I felt a little apprehensive about being 'somewhat' technologically illiterate. With the friendly support of my peer educators and those who have just recently finished with their master's, I gained some confidence in going on the web. Like you, I also felt a bit 'conscious' of what others would have to say on my blog but without constructive criticism, I would never give myself the opportunity to learn and improve.
I had the same sentiments about blogging. This is my first class that I had to use blogging and I have to admit that I was not too comfortable about sharing my comments and having others read my thoughts. But as I read other postings, I feel a little better sharing and reading reactions on a common topic. I think just as you got proficient throughout your courses, I may get better with publishing my comments.
Have a good day, Gerri!
Like you, I was brought into the world of blogs by Dr. Riverra only last Fall. At first the class only posted their ideas for the first few weeks. That didn't seem right. I wanted to know what others thought about what I wrote. So I asked Dr. Riverra, "Aren't we supposed to comment on others' blog too? Probably to the chagrine of the others, we were then required to post comments as well. It is a learned practice, isn't it? What I am interested in is when I can go beyond the reach of the university class and participate globally on blogs. I haven't got there yet, but the prospect is exciting.
Post a Comment