Friday, June 22, 2007

Second Lesson Plan Idea














My second lesson plan idea is called “Wall of Fame”. The key activities in this lesson deals with evaluating the life stories of famous individuals. Since reading biographies is one way reluctant readers can be motivated to read and comprehend, the story of a real person’s life is often more interesting to students then a fiction character with a life that is too good to be true.

So in this learning activity, students will read and do research in the biography genre to look for common characteristics and actions that make famous people great. I will assign students to analyze the person’s life for his or her outstanding contributions to society, and then develop a symbol to represent the contribution as part of a grade-level artistic representation of famous people.
The photograph on my Flickr photosharing Web site depicts former presidents of the U.S., as well as former first ladies. I will ask the students if they recognize and can identify the former presidents of the U.S., as well as some of the first ladies.The other photograph on my Flicker photosharing account is Miss Universe 1992’s beautiful look. I am sure the students would enjoy researching about the obligations and responsibilities of beautiful ladies during the reign of Miss Universe. You may view the original version of “Wall of Fame” lesson plan located at Web site http://www.cnets.iste.org/.

1 comment:

lucille linder said...

Hi Gerri!

I like the way you titled your lesson plan. You are so right about reluctant readers. Real life stories of individucals can catch a child's interest in reading. I have proof that it does.
Using photos can tie in with the reality of the biographies. I'm one that likes to see pictures especially with reading bios. I am assuming this lesson targets the intermediate grades. These students love to read about their 'idols.' Hopefully, they're good role models. Thanks for the idea and the website.