Friday, June 22, 2007

A Passion That Developed Into a Career


After listening to the EDTechLive podcast with host, Steve Hargadon and guest, Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach on the subject of the 21st Century Learning, I thought to myself; this lady really has her plate full, and them some. In fact, I wondered in greater length about the proverbial expression “…having too much on their plate”, and tried to make sense of the way it is figuratively applied to many situations. But is there really a set limit as to how much one plate can hold?

Obviously, plates come in different shapes and sizes. A person usually finds out whether or not there is “too much on their plate” when things start falling off. Then again, the type of items and how the items are arranged determines whether or not the plate is sufficient to handle the load.
Sheryl’s informative response during the interview clearly speaks volumes of how she maintained her full plate. I listened attentively as the sound of her wisdom technologically navigated its way through the built-in speakers of my computer.

After Sheryl revealed her extensive work experience of 23 years from a varied background, I some how knew that I would enjoy listening to the “21st Century Learning” podcast. She had so much to share about technology, and spoke so openly about what she went through during the course of her professions. For instance, one thing that I can relate to is how Sheryl perceived technology in the beginning.

I use to feel so restricted when I started working with computers. For example, at the onset of my experience with computer technology, I used the word processor (only) at work to compose business correspondences, as well as forms. Operating a facsimile machine was considered an added aspect to ingenuity. I was too scared to venture too deep into the broad spectrum of technology. Yet, it has always been my aspiration to find a way to confidently embark beyond the boundaries of my comfort zone.

Except, along came the University of Guam, where comfort is not even a prerequisite. Now, I have Internet access and three computers at home just in case one or the other decides to be on the blink at the most inopportune time. My most recent purchase is a laptop with all the modern amenities. I really like the new and improved Windows Vista Home Basics. At first, the 2007 version of Microsoft Word scared me, but with the amount of assignments lately, I must have clicked the help key more than the years I’ve spent in undergraduate school – just joking.

Seriously, college life has definitely changed my whole outlook on life. Many of the things I never really took the time to do or dreamed of being involved in happened at UOG. They say that freedom is all about making choices, but sometimes my college professors had to reinforce some of my choices for me in order to increase my passion for learning with technology. Now, I also have experience working with LiveText Portfolio, Power Point Presentations, Blogging, MOODLE, Wiki, Flickr, and who knows what other great exploits are in store for me. Oh yes, and I also know what a podcast is, as well as the technology denotation for the acronym RSS. Whew! I better stop my self-indulgence before my head swells beyond the scope of intellectual capacity.

I certainly am amazed at how far I have come, since the Lotus 123, and Word Perfect era. Even Sheryl mentioned that she started off with Bulletin Board collaboration where students used technology to enhance learning and to interact with peers. But despite her initial uncertainty as to the development of technology, Sheryl embrace ambiguity, persevered and she was determined to face new challenges by studying, engaging, reading and writing – the skills which technology has made possible through the vast amount of information and services provided.

What I enjoyed most about listening to the podcast, was when Sheryl eloquently spoke about how she had a passion with technology and how technology eventually became her career. And though I still get anxious about learning and experimenting with new things in the computer, I hope that one day, perhaps I can find my passion with technology. In the meantime, I will continue learning as much I can to be an effective teacher, because it sure helps to have reassuring and supportive colleagues, as well as competent instructors at UOG. This certainly encourages me to be a better person. It also gives me no excuse to tell anyone that I have a full plate.

No comments: