Saturday, June 16, 2007

Ideas of Using Wiki in My Classroom


I sure would relish the opportunity to be systematically equipped and have most of my lessons at my fingertips. Certainly, other teachers would agree that they too aspire for most students to be exposed to diverse computer applications so that they can access information and learn about practically anything and everything about the world that they live in. Having the vision to broaden students’ learning abilities, expanding my knowledge, progressing beyond the traditional approach of teaching, as well as exploring new possibilities are indeed some of the key factors in using wikis in my classroom.

I have many ideas as far as the application of wikis in my classroom. But the primary objective of implementing wikis in my classroom instruction is to enhance my teaching, and the learning skills of students. I would like to establish and present enjoyable along with meaningful learning experiences for my students so that they can learn to be critical thinkers as they analyze information, and be able to rationalize, and apply what they have learned with the current circumstances in their lives.

I believe that if students can apply what they have learned from the vast amount of information available at their fingertips, then in all probability learning can be considered effective. Studies have shown that there is a link between using technology and the improvement of student achievement. The North Central Regional Educational Laboratory research on Critical Issue: Using Technology to Improve Student Achievement posted in 1999 and then updated in 2005 which is found in the website location
http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/methods/technlgy/te800.htm#top describes some of the factors that need to be in place to support the effective use of technology. The study also raises concerns about the resources that learning institutions can use to help them plan for technology that will have a positive impact on student achievement. Among the vast array of topics, this research also considers issues involving students with disabilities, language learners, inclusion and factors involved in reaching all students. It is a rather extensive study, but I believe that it is beneficial and good reading material for teachers.

My idea of using wikis in my classroom instruction would include integrating all content area subjects (if at all possible) with the different forms of art, music, physical education, drama etc. In the course of being mindful of the diverse needs of students, I need to build a functioning, yet positive relationship with my students where they feel comfortable enough to count on me for guidance, understanding and to know that I am flexible enough to allow them more time to form ideas.

The entry setting of my classroom wiki space would introduce the course title, as well as the important school and contact information. I would also setup different pages within my wiki. The different pages would contain information pertaining to the course description, the expected positive student disposition when utilizing the computer, effective communication etiquette when critiquing and editing other fellow students, a rubric of what is expected on various assignments and the points structure, a calendar containing various learning activities and the due dates of all assignments, resources, a blog spot, listing of the participants, parent-teacher communication, homework support, and assessment.

My idea of using wiki in my classroom also includes providing an appropriate listing of instructional materials that students can access and select from on a daily basis. So, with the intention of producing sharp thinkers, the content of my reading topics will be reasonably sizeable. In my classroom wiki, there would be a predetermined daily theme of topics to examine, but a variety of materials to select from. I want to provide appropriate learning resources that include a potpourri of genres.

Some of the topics that I would like for students to study and decipher in my classroom wiki include; Literature (poetry, short stories, drama), Current Events (local news, opinions, dealings…), Animals (fascinating animal facts, Classifying Animals, fish facts…), Art (types of paintings, food art, art movements…) Books (interviews with different writers, book awards, puzzle, quizzes…), Building & Landmarks (famous structures, architects and their masterpieces the seven wonders of the ancient world…), Calendar and Holidays (festivals around the world, seasons, puzzles and games…), Computer and the Internet (finding appropriate sources online, messaging craze, constructing timelines of computer, internet and video games), Dance and Theater (types of dances, creating a script, casting a play, setting the stage, creating costumes and props), Environment & Energy (environmental dangers, power of oil, energy and the earth…), Fashion (different types of fabric, what fabric is made of, the different types of outfits that we come across…), Geography (view maps of the world, types of maps, discoveries made…), Government (the three branches of government, checks and balances, The Constitution, how the president gets elected, types of elections…), History (Guam, American History, Heroes of Civil Rights Movements, World History Timeline, U.S. History Timeline), Inventions, (awesome inventions, inventions timeline…), Language (sign language, anagram activities, preserving an indigenous language…), Math (numerical prefixes, even and odd numbers, fractions, decimals and percents, squares and square roots, roman numeral, metric weights and measures, Military & War (America’s Wars, Life for the troops, local involvement, care messages/packages, support group for military dependents…), Money & Economy (U.S. paper money and coins, learning the importance of saving money…), Movies & TV (movie timeline, top-rated kid shows, Music (downloader face the music, the different sounds of music, instruments, types of music…), Science (science facts, experiment, table of elements, photosynthesis, rocks, minerals and gems…), Space (solar system, constellations, spaced out puzzles and games, experiments on how to create a solar eclipse…) Sports (Olympics, extreme sports, training for a competition…), United States (population, map, states, melting pot of diverse citizens…), Volunteering (building a better world, feeding the homeless, shelters for the people who are hurt), Weather (Typhoons, Lightning, Tornadoes, Hurricanes…); and World (World maps, nations of the world, continents apart, beautiful Micronesia…)

I want my students to apply their learning skills by pondering sensibly on what they have read, by writing about what they have read about, by performing additional research on the topic, by rewriting, as well as being knowledgeable and confident enough about a particular topic to articulate their opinion, and communicate with others about their new found wisdom. My classroom wiki would also consist of a vocabulary builder crossword puzzle section, and a list of questions pertaining to every piece of literature to assess comprehension.

I believe that language and literacy, as well as applying technology with learning are perhaps the main reasons I would utilize wiki in my classroom. Clearly being literate and being able to express one’s self in different ways is one of the most critical - if not the most important aspect that I consider in learning.

1 comment:

Thomas Petra said...

Wow, now I know what you've been doing. It sounds like you want to use the wiki as a moodle for your classroom. I believe, in that podcast from last week, that is what Vicki Davis said she did. I remember that surprised me as a wiki use. I just never thought it could be used that way.
I'm assuming you teach English from what you wrote. I envy you for the wiki possibilities you can pursue. Good luck.