Saturday, June 9, 2007

"Wiki's -- What Are They, And Why Use Them in Education?"


Prior to taking this course, I have neither heard of the term “wiki”, nor have I had any inkling that such a term exist. So, as a result of my lack of knowledge, I decided to take a quick exploration online. Before engaging in the digital media file, “Use of Wiki’s in Education”, I found out from the website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ that “wiki” is basically a “…shared information software that runs on wiki system. This software allows web pages to be created and edited using a certain communication software.”
Anyway, following my brief discovery of the term, I decided to move on to the actual assignment. The “Use of Wiki’s in Education” digital media file contained a great deal of fresh information for me. Although the acoustic was relatively choppy, I managed to persevere and listened to the entire recorded dialogue.

In the course of listening attentively to Steve Hargadon, Victoria Davis and Adam Frey discuss the use of wiki as it is applied in an instructional setting; (in a way) the description of wiki’s began to sound familiar. I realized that in some ways blogging is similar to wiki’s in that students and teachers are able to pool resources in a specified learning environment. But in order to further elaborate about the difference, I decided to pay a visit to Victoria Davis’ school website to find out more information about her wiki set up and its content.


During the interview, Victoria openly announced her classroom website, so I decided to take her up on her offer and visited http://westwood.wikispaces.com/. I found many interesting learning activities that she planned for her students. The Westwood Wiki links to various pages that contain a wiki space for students to discuss different articles. There is a space provided where students can download books into their MP 3 player. Another space offered tips on how to edit wiki pages. There is also a space for assessment, and the list of different learning activities positively speaks volumes with regard to this teacher’s well though-out curriculum.

The difference between wiki and blogging that I noticed during the audio discussion is on the editing segment. For instance, in wiki, students work in groups and are able to edit each other’s work. Whereas in blogging, I am able to read my classmates’ and teacher’s writings on a particular subject, however, I have never experienced editing anyone’s blog posting, nor has anyone ever edited my writing.

When Victoria mentioned that wiki is like a “central clearing house” that holds all kinds of resources, her description reminded me of my college LiveText Portfolio. With LiveText, students can author and submit all their work online, and present work professionally created. The Live Text edu solutions allow me to receive, create, and submit all my assignments online through an assortment of web-based tools. Students can create e-portfolios, presentations, lesson plans, and reflective journals. What’s more, Live Text allows me exclusive access to the United Streaming online video library in which there are more than 4,000 educational videos available for classroom use or personal enrichment. I believe that LiveText is genuinely a worthwhile investment.

All in all, I believe that if students are provided with the necessary technological tools to succeed in all areas of their study, the motivational effect, as well as the positive social interaction that transpires will be worth the educational investment.

2 comments:

Araceli Nelson said...

This is a great tool to collect information and share it with a group of people. I have never used wiki, but my intention is to use it in the future, after I finish my courses and be back in the classroom.
The only thing is that I will feel kind of weird erasing somebody else information, I will feel very uncomfortable, but I will try it.

BenBarton said...

I'm surprised that you've found LiveText so useful. I found it exactly the opposite, and was furious to have to spend money for it. :)

Still, like you I've found Wikis interesting. I'm not sure if I will ever use it with my students, but I may use it on my own in the future.